Friday, January 8, 2010

10 years

For you, Laura!

2000:
-I worked as a preschool teacher with my best friend, Rachel. We had wanted to work together since 6th grade! I have such good memories of us at work playing with our preschoolers and talking about life.
-I went to school full time.
-We lived in a great apartment that was spacious and only shared one small wall.

2001:
- I graduated from college with a BA in Liberal Studies (Elementary Education).
- Ed and I took a trip to Maui. Still some of my favorite memories ever.
- In September I had to quit my job as a preschool teacher to start my student teaching (2nd grade for 2 months and 5th grade for two months).
- The terrorist attacks happened while my family (parents, and little brother and sister) were vacationing in New York. I still remember the phone call I made to my mom to make sure they were ok. Then we spent the next couple of weeks just going to work, coming home, and watching the TV coverage and crying.

2002:
- I completed and presented my teaching portfolio to the board and received my teaching credential.
-Worked as a substitute teacher including a long term (2 months) position teaching 6th grade (scary!) and a another long term position (2 months) teaching kids who needed extra help. My students were pulled out of their regular classes to come work with me. Half of the day I spent with Jr. Highers and the other half was with Kindergarteners.
- Ed and I bought our first condo in Laguna Hills!
- I obtained a position as a second grade teacher and spent the summer setting up my first very own classroom.

2003:
- Ed and I went on a special trip to Palm Springs for Valentines Day where we decided to wait one more year to have kids.
- 2 days after we got back we found out I was pregnant!
- Ed graduated from college, and for the first time in our 5 years of marriage, we were both free of classes and homework. We had so much more time together!
- Taught 2nd grade the full month of September while I was 9 months pregnant.
- Left work on October 3rd thinking I had two weeks before the birth.
- Eddie was born October 5th!

2004:
- Adjusted to the challenges of being a new mom. I was the only one of my friends who had a baby. My sis-in-law and I became even closer as we shared our lives as mommies together. My nephew, Samuel, was born just 25 days after Eddie.
- I started a journal about life as a mommy on LiveJournal.com
- Loved each day with my baby boy.
- I braved the 5 hour flight to NY with 11 month old Eddie to meet Ed there on the tail end of his business trip. We had a great time with the highlight being seeing my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. We walked around Manhattan together pushing the boys in their strollers. Then they took Eddie with them for awhile so Ed and I could have a date!

2005:
- Eddie was walking so I took him on outings each day. Most memorable being our Thursday morning ritual of following the trash truck for an hour or more watching each trash can being emptied into the truck.
- Met my dad for lunch many Fridays at the Corner Bakery across the street from my house. His office was right down the street.
- Took a big family vacation (with my parents and younger siblings) to a cabin on a river in the mountains. Then we went on to San Francisco to see Ed's family. Fun trip!
- Ed was offered a job in Dallas and he took it. For two months he would fly to Dallas for the weekdays and come home on weekends. That was hard.
- We found out I was pregnant!
- I packed up our house and we moved away from family, friends, and the only place I had ever known to a place I had never even seen before!

2006:
- A rough year for us... our condo would not sell in CA. We were stuck in a small apartment for 8 months, and basically the only people I talked to were my two Eddies. Talking with my sis-in-law through instant messaging almost every night helped save my sanity!
- In February, I took a trip by myself to CA for Rachel's baby shower. Her husband was out of town so it was a weekend long sleepover for us! We were both pregnant with our baby girls only 4 months apart.
- In July, Ed's company generously put us up into a rental house in a wonderful neighborhood. We found a church nearby and began making friends.
- Sophia was born!
- Faced the challenge of being a mom of two without family nearby and only a couple of very new friends.
- Our condo finally sold and we bought a house in the same neighborhood where we were renting. Very exciting! We love our house.

2007:
- For Easter, my entire family came and stayed in our house... thirteen people under one roof!
- The 4 of us took a trip to CA and I went to my 10 year high school reunion.
- Eddie started pre-school twice a week.
- I put together a Carnival party for Eddie's 4th birthday in the back yard. It turned out great, but it was a LOT of work!
- I joined the choir at our church.

2008:
- I started taking dance classes with the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and auditioned for the team (didn't make it).
- My parents flew out to Dallas to watch the kids for us while Ed and I took a 10 day trip to Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary!
- My sister and her husband came to stay with us for Thanksgiving. Ed's dad also joined us, and for the first time we made the entire Thanksgiving meal ourselves in our own home. Josh and Ed fried the turkey in the backyard.

2009:
- I went to stay with my sister-in-law in New York while my brother went on a business trip. She had a brand new baby and two other little ones, so we stayed busy! I loved spending time with my nephews and having lots of time to talk and drink tea with my sis-in-law.
- I turned 30... yikes! Ed put together a surprise birthday celebration for me complete with a limo picking up me and my friends, dinner and dessert in downtown Dallas, and a sleepover in a hotel. It was so sweet of him and a very memorable birthday.
- I took the same dance classes and auditioned again for the Cowboys Cheerleaders and this time I made it to the top 100.
- Eddie started Kindergarten!
- Sophia started pre-school.
- We took a road trip to Nashville for Thanksgiving and had an amazing time. We saw the sights of Nashville, and the kids basked in the attention of their aunt, uncle, and grandparents.
- We had our first white Christmas! We gave Eddie and Sophia a puppy for Christmas and they named her Callie Cuddles.


2 comments:

Elle said...

That was fun to read.
I remember the 13 people under one roof (and yet it felt so spacious - perhaps that was because my family had the master suite)
wish we lived closer!

Rebecca said...

I actually did a list like this for Cassady for our 10 year wedding anniversary in October. I dug up some old photos and complied everything for a 10-year retrospective photo album. It was a lot of fun but REALLY hard to remember everything we'd done. It was a blur before we had kids. But it made me realize how much we'd accomplished!