Friday, January 22, 2010

Surprise Visits

Well, I'm another year older. Last year, my birthday was fun and exciting because it was a major milestone to reach, but this year I just feel old. However, this birthday ended up being equally great because my parents decided last minute to come for a visit! We saw them for a short couple of days around Thanksgiving and not since June before that. The kids were beyond excited to have play time with Grandma and Grandpa. Sophia immediately began making plans saying, "I will play silly games with Grandpa. He will tickle me. I will show Grandma my doll house, etc" Eddie was excited that Grandpa shares his passion for Indiana Jones and planned to have many adventures together.

The fun began as soon as they arrived. We spent the first morning having a big pancake breakfast, and playing games with the kids. Then we went to a nice lunch followed by Sprinkles cupcakes. During naptime, my mom and I went to Hobby Lobby and found all sorts of fun things to decorate my house for very low prices (LOVE that place). Saturday we watched Eddie play his basketball game and Sophia's big girl bed was delivered. My parents baby-sat that night so Ed and I could have a date night!

Then, the morning of my birthday I was awakened by a phone call at 6:45am. Barely awake, I stumbled out of bed wondering who in the world would be calling? I answered with a mumbled, "Hello." My sister's sweet voice asked if she had woken me up. I answered with an unconvincing, "No." She said she knew I was lying, but then continued with her reason for calling... her flight to Canada for a business trip had been re-routed to have a layover in Dallas last minute! A couple of hours later, we had a beautiful, birthday surprise reunion in baggage claim A16! (see this post for her description of that morning)

During naptime, my dad took me on a "Daddy/Daughter Date" for some iced tea and cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory. Later, Eddie, Sophia, Grandma, and Grandpa spent the afternoon going on Indiana Jones adventures throughout the upstairs finding one hidden treasure after another. After the kids were in bed that night, we had a baby-sitter come and the four of us went out for a birthday dinner!

On their last day, my parents got to watch Sophia in her gymnastics class and then we all played outside until it was time to take them to the airport. It was a perfect visit and we can't wait to see them again!


Eating lunch together


Grandma = treats

Sophia loves lollipops and this was definitely the biggest one she has ever eaten!

just a little excited

thank you, Grandma!

the boys played football outside


Eddie was pouting when he missed the ball, so Grandpa came over and copied him which, of course, made him laugh

this is what Sophia did while the boys played football :)

1 comment:

Christiana said...

That was such a lovely layover. My best ever - hands down.

[I am still sorry I woke you up so early on your birthday.]

It looks like you had SUCH a wonderful time with Mom & Dad - I'm SO glad! It's so sweet to see them all together. I know those grandparents love those kids, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is quite mutual.

P.S. The 3rd picture of Sophia with the lollipop, where she's laughing really hard?

New. Favorite. Of. All. Time.