Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Her Prerogative

My little Sophia has always had a mind of her own and anything she decides to do must be HER idea. For example, ever since she started talking, if we asked her to say something (ie: "Sophia, what does a cow say?") she would look at you with a look of complete disinterest and remain silent. Then after the attention was off of her, I would hear her in the background saying, "Moooo" to herself just for the satisfaction of proving she knows the answer but does not have to say it at our request. One other example... ever since she was able to sit and play with toys (about 6 months old), no matter how much fun she might be having with a toy, if I came and tried to play it WITH her, she would drop it and lose all interest in it. Even if she was having trouble figuring out how a toy worked, if I even touched the toy to show her how it works, it was GAME OVER. She wanted to do things herself and did not want to feel like she was doing something because I wanted her to. Whew! Little Miss Thing!

Just recently, she has started to become more compliant and sometimes almost eager to please (could it be??). She will engage in playing with a toy WITH me, and she will even allow me to show her how something works. Another recent development is that she will smile when I ask her to so that I can take a picture! Before, whenever I asked her to smile, she would just stare at me as though I hadn't said anything at all. But today was different. Today was special. 

And now, for the first time ever, (drumroll please...), here are some pictures of Sophia smiling for the camera! Well, one smiling and two with her tongue out. I'll take what I can get!




2 comments:

Christiana said...

Oh my word she's so precious!

Tell her Aunt Christi loves her.

Dunhams said...

Yay, Sophia! Madeline seems to be very similar with that stuff...she will NOT do what you tell her to with talking or anything, but then you'll look over and she's doing it or saying it. Sassy little girls :)