Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dallas Family Christmas

I have always loved the Christmas season. My family is very close and all growing up, the Christmases we shared together were magical. Since we moved to Texas three years ago, we haven't been able to have a "family" Christmas with everyone together. As I posted earlier, my older brother just had a new baby boy, so my parents and little brother went to New York to be with them for Christmas. My sister stayed in Nashville with her husband and we stayed here

We have amazing friends here in Dallas, so we were excited to spend the holidays with them. I am part of the choir at our church and we performed for the Christmas Eve service. We had four practices leading up to our performance and I have really enjoyed singing and building friendships with the group. The Worship and Arts department of our church had a Christmas party that Ed and I went to and it was THE BIGGEST potluck I have ever attended. There were over 200 couples there and each person brought an item. Lots of food to choose from! Then we also had a Christmas party with our Life Group which consists of 6 couples who we meet with every two weeks for Bible Study. We are a close knit group and enjoyed celebrating with them.

Most of you know that we received some troubling news about Eddie last week and the way our friends gathered around us and supported us with love and prayer was truly amazing. We were holding tight to our faith and our friends were there for us with hugs, prayers, and favors. So, thank you to all of you who helped us through that time. It meant so much to us. 

Christmas Eve morning, the kids and I baked Gingerbread cookies! Eddie helped me make the dough, cut it with cookie cutters, and decorate them. Sophia helped by mainly just eating the dough. Then Ed and Eddie sat in the front row at church to watch me perform (Sophia went to her class) and after the service, we had dinner with our good friends and went home. Eddie set up cookies, milk, and a note for Santa on the fireplace, and we cuddled up next to the Christmas tree and read him The First Christmas Story (Sophia was already in bed).

Christmas morning was pure joy for the kids. They each loved all the gifts they received, with Eddie's favorites being his Star Wars light sabers and Darth Vader costume, and Sophia's favorites being her Thomas the train and an adorable doll house. It is a Little People brand doll house with a mommy, daddy, and baby. They can sit in a couch, a table with chairs, a potty, and each can lay in their bed. The doorbell rings, the potty flushes, etc... It's a good thing she loves it, because I love playing it with her! 

After a morning full of fun, the kids took their naps and when they woke up, we all went over to our good friends, the Palmers' house for dinner. Kerri made an Italian feast from scratch with chicken parmesean, lasagna, meatballs, and all kinds of cookies for dessert. Another family who we are good friends with joined in and we talked, played with the kids, laughed, and just enjoyed being together.

Even though we missed seeing our family this Christmas, we still had many special moments together just as our little family, along with moments shared with friends. We are so thankful for our Dallas "family!"


Sophia eating Gingerbread cookie dough

Eddie setting up his cookies for Santa

Eddie dictated this note for me to write to Santa, and then he signed it.

Can't forget the Reindeer!

Eddie in his new Batman mask and make-shift cape

Daddy made an "Eddie" cookie as a surprise

1 comment:

Christiana said...

Oh goodness!

You and your sweet family sound like you had a Perfect Dallas Christmas.

I wish I could have seen and heard you sing. I'm sure you made the angels jealous.

Eddie's note to Santa is too adorable. And hello, Martha Stewart! Your cookies seriously look amazing.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. They're so very lucky to have been with you.