Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kindergarten Update

Well, here we are on week 3 with Eddie in Kindergarten. He is slowly starting to find some things he likes about school, but he is not a fan of the actual schoolwork. :) He told me today with all seriousness that, "in Kindergarten, I am not allowed to just do this (moves his hand around in a scribble motion) and say, 'I'm done!' I have to go slow and do my best." So, he is already learning good life lessons! We haven't been completely happy with everything about the school, but when we considered the other options we weren't completely happy with any of them either. So, for now, he is staying where he is and he is adjusting slowly but surely.

My heart still aches each morning when I take him to school (it is MUCH better when Ed takes him). It is so strange because it feels like you are sending your "baby" to Kindergarten, but then you realize that they are able to be away from you at school all day because they aren't babies anymore. It was my first glimpse of how it feels to "let go" as my sweet boy grows up, when all I really want to do is hold on to him with all my might. It pulled me out of the mindset I have been living in for almost 6 years of "taking care of my baby" and it became reality that I am raising up a child who will someday be his own complete person. It has been such an emotional few weeks!!! I have, of course, known that "letting go" is a required part of being a mom, but let me tell you: it is hard.


Luckily, Sophia LOVES going to preschool. So, starting school has already been easier with her. Eddie still tells me every day how much he misses me while he is at school. We do something called "the kissing hand" that helps a little bit... I kiss the palm of his hand in the morning so that anytime he is thinking of me at school, he can touch his hand to his cheek and feel my kiss (it is a no-slip kiss that lasts all day long). On some mornings, he kisses my hand so that I can do the same. *tear*


More to come soon...



1 comment:

Michele said...

My darling Sunshine,

Your "letting go" posts bring tears to my eyes as I still have four scars on my heart from letting you and your brothers and sister go to kindergarten. Thank God, the scars do heal, but prepare yourself through prayer and faith for the really big rip when your sweet babies (albeit in grown up bodies!) are 18 and take off to live on their own. We are taking your brother, David, to UCSB this weekend and I am an emotional wreck. It helps that he (as all of you were) is a wonderful person who loves the Lord and is ready to be on his own. The hardest part of parenting is letting go gracefully. I love you, Sunshine Girl. Give Eddie and Sophia big hugs and kisses from Grandma and tell them how proud of them I am. I am also very proud of you and Ed and the wonderful job of parenting that you are doing. God bless you all.