Yesterday, for the first time, Eddie had a positive report about school!! I asked him how school had been that day and his exact words were, "It was actually lovely fun!" I love it when he does that. He tries to insert descriptive words to put more meaning into what he is saying and sometimes the word he chooses makes no sense at all, but this time, it sort of worked! "Lovely fun." Doesn't that sound like a good day? And to think, as I dropped him off that morning he was sad while saying good-bye and when I tried to cheer him up by saying he would have a good day he responded, "But I don't like learning." I chuckled at that. I know he was just trying to think of a way to get out of school, but really? Did he actually think I would say, "Ok, son, you don't have to learn anything if you don't want to. Who needs school anyway?" I just gave him a look like he was being silly and said, "Good-bye." And praise the Lord, he had "lovely fun" that day. He really likes his teacher and he has SO many friends. He is Mr. Social and his ability to retain names would put most business men to shame. Whenever we are walking on campus, kids are yelling out, "Eddie!!" so that he will look at them and wave or say, "Hi." But what surprises me most is that he always knows their name! Kids I have never seen before, hundreds of kids, he knows their names and they know him. That's my Eddie. He has always had a heart for people. He likes to make people smile and let them know he cares about them. He also enjoys the computer lab, music class, art class, spanish class, going to the library, and having P.E. He still feels like a full day at Kindergarten is a lot, but he is getting used to it. He made me laugh this morning. He was talking on the phone with someone as I drove him to school and the person asked if they could call Eddie back later. Eddie said, "No, you can't because I have to go to Kindergarten for SEVEN HOURS!!"
Sophia LOVES school. When we drop Eddie off at school she asks, "Can I go to school too, Mommy?" She only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but she asks to go every day. She also loves her teachers and friends. She is already telling me the months of the year, days of the week, singing sweet songs about Jesus, and speaking/singing in Spanish! She loves Spanish (and the Spanish teacher, Ms. Jennifer). It is funny how different she and Eddie are... For Eddie, it has been heartbreaking to make the step into independence because he just wants to hold on to me so tightly. But Sophia is only 3 and isn't phased at all about being away from me. In fact, she asks to go to school on "our days" together!! So, with one hand I am giving Eddie gentle pushes, and with the other I am gently holding onto Sophia to slow down her pull to independence. At her age, I still think it is best for her to be with me most of the time as she learns about who she is and the world around her. I want to be the one impacting her character development and facilitating her learning while she is so impressionable. But soon enough, my sweet daughter, I will be loosening my hold and allowing you to pursue the independence you so desire. :)
So, we are settling in to our new routine that revolves around school and we are doing well!
2 comments:
So happy to hear things are smoothing themselves out.
Love you.
It all sounds like "lovely fun!"
Hugs and kisses to all from Grandma Michele
Post a Comment