Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Ultimate Toy

Growing up, I remember spending countless hours of fun using empty boxes as imaginary toys. I would use smaller boxes to pretend it was a car, a boat, or a spaceship, and larger boxes could be a house, school, or a store. When I was 8 and my sister was 5, my parents bought a new refrigerator and let us play with the huge empty box in the garage. We cut a door in the front and two windows on each side. We drew things on the wall of the inside like stairs, beds, a TV, etc... We literally played with that box for an entire summer. I have the best memories of all the fun make believe games we played in/with that box.

The other day I went to Costco and they put all my items in this bigger box (no, I didn't buy a crate full of Toll House cookie dough) to take home. I was making breakfast for the kids and I heard Eddie go to the garage and bring the discarded box back into the house and announce that it was his new spaceship. Sophia was eager to join in the fun and Eddie happily obliged having an outer space buddy to "blast off" with.





Here is a picture of Eddie when he was 18 months old playing in the box that he used to pretend was a car...


Eddie playing with his friend, Elle

Taking a drive with his bag and his teddy bear.

3 comments:

Christiana said...

Aww, I remember those days. Remember our secret language with the code written on the inside of our rock star playhouse walls? We were so cool.

Your kids are too adorable. I love seeing their little imaginations firing away, and love that Sophia would want to join in on the spaceship - and that Eddie would let her.

You've got some great kids there, Mrs. Hoehn.

Rebecca said...

Add to the list: the cardboard tube from toilet paper rolls, and my kids' all-time favorite--bubblewrap. They go nuts for the stuff. It's like catnip to them.

Dunhams said...

Cheap toys are always the best :)